Throughout 2011 and 2012, several hints have been dropped of a potential sequel to Alan Wake. These hints include when "Alan Wake 2" was shown on Althea Suarez Gata's CV, only for it to be removed on the very same day. Whilst Alan Wake's American Nightmare (though the name was unknown at the time) was revealed not long after this hiccup, fans have been trying to find more evidence of a direct sequel.
Few pieces of evidence have surfaced, however they are actual teasers by the developers themselves. Firstly, in Alan Wake's American Nightmare, there is a song known as Balance Slays the Demon. Near the middle of the song, there is a weird sound clip that can be heard, but it has been reversed. If the clip is played forward, it says "It will happen again, in another town, a town called Ordinary". The credits to the game also then indicated that "Alan Wake's journey through the night will continue".
On June 2, 2012, Sam Lake then tweeted the exact same line that was reversed in the song "Balance Slays the Demon", where the tweet read "It’s all true. "It will happen again, in another town, a town called Ordinary." It's happening now." but also linked to a "Blogspot" called "This House of Dreams". At first, the site seems like a mere blog for someone refurbishing a house, but one such blog talks about a dream the blogger had about a man "wearing a funny jacket with old-fashioned elbow patches" and that he wanted "to turn all the lights on". This tweet came just days before E3 2012, a gaming expo that reveals and shows brand new content of upcoming releases. People also found that the domain "alanwake2.com" was also reserved by Remedy Entertainment.
On May 21, 2013, Remedy revealed their newest game at the Xbox Event, called "Quantum Break", which will be an exclusive to the newest Xbox console, Xbox One. Fans were disappointed that Alan Wake 2 wasn't revealed, however some still supported Remedy in their new franchise.
A day after the Quantum Break announcement, Sam Lake took to YouTube to talk to the fans about why Alan Wake 2 wasn't announced. He revealed that the time just wasn't right yet, but mentioned he has not given up on the franchise.
- This will be a direct sequel to Alan Wake and not a spin off.
- It will be released on next-gen consoles.
- Robert Nightingale will be the new face of darkness.
- The setting of this game is in a town called "Ordinary".
- The game will keep its episodic format.
- The game will have more than 6 episodes on release.
- Fight 'Till Dawn will return with more features.
- Alan will finally escape the Dark Place.
- It will feature a new supporting lead character.
- Barry Wheeler and Alice Wake will return.
- The Old Gods of Asgard will return.
- The game will have a co-op mode of sorts.
- The song "No Light, No Light" by Florence + the Machine will be a part of the soundtrack for the game, and will also be the end song for one of the Episodes.
- The manuscript that the game will follow will be called "The House of Dreams". This rumor came around after Remedy posted on their Facebook page when the Alan Wake games were on sale "You can now have the complete Alan Wake experience at a price, cheaper then the hard-cover copy of Alan's latest book - The House of Dreams..."
- Thomas Zane will finally escape the Dark Place, after being trapped in the shadowy lake for about 30 years.
- Mr. Scratch will come back and play a different role in the game.